18 August 2007

Thinking about what Ralph said

I'm thinking a lot about the distribution of information, and the stigma associated with the use of that information. The people who utilize the barter/trade/"bare necessities" lifestyle are small, few, demographically common, and generally brilliant.

I think about how cool CAMP (stlcamp.org), my main project for the past four years, is with this: though CAMP's five year history is largely white board members from a middle class background, the project is fairly successful in sharing it's eccentricities with a class/race diverse neighborhood. Same with New Roots Urban Farm (STL). Our eccentricities are often only our willingness to use our information of how to live more free and intentionally. So it makes us dirty, ugly, or is sending us to hell, we are healthy, happy, and have community. We are supported. "You can never be homeless so long as there is Bolozone."

Really, being a white city kid with lots of useful information has made being in Minneapolis all too easy to navigate and it's almost a joke.
"You choose how hard your life will be in Minneapolis: how many free yoga classes will you go to today?" It really is that easy when you've got the right knowledge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Shan, I've been following you and today accidentally flagged your blog w/ an undesirable content? thing. Shit, I was just trying to find how to respond to your amazing adventure! Hope I didn't screw things up. I have been traveling vicariously w/you since Bubbitz sent me your blogsite.
I had similar experiences whilst living in the DC area so long ago. It's refreshing to know that there continues to exist the true flag-carriers. You are a kindred spirit whom I don't forget how so willingly, curiously and courageously accompanied me to ID my pop p/t incineration ntm the hearse tour outback. My love and admiration goes out to you. The entire Minn experience for me last year was one of no time warp whatsoever from when I cruised around there on my own at around age 10. A fortunate gypsy of benign neglect, it was there that I plotted my future. I hope when you reach Cali that you will be sure to come cook hee for me in Julian. Rusty is installing a sunken marble double-headed shower w/ skylight as we speak. (really!) The SD homeless may be bright but the community that presents to my ER has serious cleanliness issues and as you know, cleanliness is next to godliness. Keep the pictures coming - blonde suits you. Love, Auntie JENN PS What is Bolozone?